Visit Our Facebook Page for Current Events
A key aspect of Historic Madison’s strategic plan is rehabilitating and conserving the Shrewsbury-Windle House as the architectural centerpiece of Historic Madison’s portfolio of properties.
The two and one-half story brick Shrewsbury-Windle House ca. 1846 1849 is designated a National Historic Landmark, the highest historical designation a building can attain in the United States.
It fills the northern quarter of a nearly one-acre lot at the northeast corner of First and Poplar Streets in the Madison, Indiana National Historic Landmark District. It is graced with a view of the Ohio River and the Kentucky hills to the south little changed from the 1840’s. Gardens frame the river view and surround the home.
Designed by architect Francis Costigan, one of America’s outstanding architects of the mid-nineteenth century, the building is a stunning work of nineteenth century classical architecture built of pink brick accented by finely carved stone and wooden details. Exterior design elements include ornate iron fencing and balconies, herringbone brick sidewalks, garden paths and stone curbing. A brick outbuilding includes a wash house with a stone floor, privies, a garden shed and stables.
The home features 12 rooms and 13 fireplaces. Interior design highlights include a fifty-three step spiral staircase that is a work of art and an engineering masterpiece in itself, and formal twin drawing rooms that may be the best preserved example of Greek revival domestic interior design in the United States.
Both exterior and interior rehabilitation’s are now complete and the property is now available for rent for special events and programs. We welcome group and private tours. Contact the HMI office for details on rental and admission fees or to schedule a group tour. Visit our Facebook page to view images of this exciting restoration project!
In 2018 the Shrewsbury-Windle House and Historic Madison, Inc. received the Victorian Society in America Historic Preservation Award: From L – R – Kevin Rose, VSA President, John Staicer, HMI Executive Director, Ben Ross, Ratio Architects, Charles Robertson, Chair, VSA Preservation Committee