Dr. Hutchings Office and Museum
Visit Our Facebook Page for Current Events
This brick building, located at 120 West Third St., is the late nineteenth century office and dispensary of Dr. William Davies Hutchings. This building contains most of the original equipment from Dr. Hutchings’ practice as well as some Hutchings’ family furnishings.
Built between 1838-1848, this Greek Revival building, has a triangular front pediment, cornice board, simple moldings and a cut stone foundation. Before Dr. Hutchings acquired the building it had been the law office of Michael G. Bright, an attorney and later Judge John Cravens.
The building located directly east of Hutchings Office is a small shotgun structure that was moved to this location. The structure sits on the site of what was the Hutchings family home. It is now a museum, where HMI exhibits the Hutchings Family Collection.
Dr. Hutchings was born in Lexington, Kentucky on September 15, 1825 and died April 2, 1903 in Madison, Indiana. From the age of six he wanted to be a doctor. He studied medicine at the Lexington Academy in Kentucky and was granted a medical diploma from Indiana Central Medical College of Indianapolis, Class 1851—a department of Ashbury University (now Depauw) at Greencastle, Indiana. He worked as a student during the 1849 Asiatic Cholera Epidemic along the Kentucky River. His original Diplomas and certificates, which hang on the walls of the office, denote a continuing study of medicine.
For details on touring this site view: http://historicmadisoninc.com/toursrentals/